A string of driving offences resulted in 21 penalty points but no ban for motorist David Coultard.
Despite having nine more points than the threshold when drivers are usually taken off the roads, magistrates agreed not to ban him after hearing he would lose his job if he was disqualified.
But unlike Coultard’s famous namesake there was no Formula One car involved.
Instead the 39-year-old of High Street, Belton, was brought before North Lincolnshire magistrates after he was caught driving an M-reg Nissan Micra without insurance last November. He was fined £400 and six points on his licence.
In June, Coultard was caught driving a Ford Fiesta in Scunthorpe, while he was already disqualified for holding or obtaining a licence.
He was given a 16-week prison sentence suspended for 12 months, 40 hours unpaid work, a further six points and was ordered to pay £180 costs. Another six points were added to his licence after admitted he failed to provide driver information.
Then three further points were added to Coultard’s licence after he admitted exceeding a 50mph speed limit on last October.
In addition Coultard was given a 12-week jail term suspended for 12 months after admitting receiving stolen goods between June 8 and June 12 last year. He was also told he must complete 40 hours unpaid work.
After the hearing David Bizley, technical director at the RAC, said: “The local motoring community is likely to look at this case with raised eyebrows – a catalogue of driving offences yet no ban.
“While we fully support the plight of the responsible rural motorist and acknowledge the dependence that many people have on the car when it comes to driving to and from work, it is important that this decision does not erode the public’s confidence in the court’s ability to keep potentially unsafe drivers off our roads.”