Agreement reached to stop Doncaster bin strike

editorial image

An industrial despite that threatened bin collections in Doncaster over Christmas has been resolved.

A dispute earlier this month between waste collection firm SUEZ and members of Unite the Union in Doncaster resulted in a strike on Monday December 12.

Thousands of homes saw their bins left unemptied as a result of the issue.

But in a joint statement, the union and the waste contractor have now confirmed that both parties have agreed a deal in full and final settlement, which will ensure that no further industrial action takes place.

They have reached agreement on a deal relating to pay increases and holiday terms and conditions, following several meetings this month and a final ballot of members, which took place early on Friday December 16. This means that the industrial action planned for the Christmas period will not take place.

Suez says collection crews have been working hard to catch up on the back-log of collections caused by the stoppage last Monday and normal service has now resumed – subject to planned adjustments to collections going forward over the public holidays.

Steve Holgate, director of municipal services for SUEZ, said: “We apologise to the residents of Doncaster who were affected by the stoppage last week and experienced disruption to their normal service. However, we are pleased to say that both parties have now resolved the outstanding issues, which means that we can move forward together and continue to provide this essential service over the holiday period.”

Shane Sweeting, regional officer for Unite the union said: “I am pleased to confirm that the need for industrial action, as a last resort to resolve a disputed issue over terms and conditions, is no longer required because a suitable resolve for all parties has been achieved.

“Unite The Union would like to thank the public for their support of its members and now looks forward to a meaningful relationship with SUEZ going forward.”